Welcome to Braceborough & Wilsthorpe, we hope that you will stay a while & browse though our website which has been set up with the help of Lincolnshire County Council.
Braceborough was mentioned in the Great Domesday Book 1086. It has had several spellings during the centuries such as Braseborg, Breseburc & Breseburg. Borg meant ‘a fortified place’ but it is uncertain as the true meaning of the Brase but it could be ‘bold’, therefore the village could mean ‘a fortified place of the bold ones’.
Braceborough has approximately 66 dwellings, thatched cottages sit alongside new developments built in stone and large brick bungalows sitting on well proportioned plots. The village is possible best known for its Spa, which is situated about a mile from the village, where Doctor Willis treated King George 111 with water from the mineral springs. The spa prospered & a bathing house was built in 1841 with a railway station.
The first church at Braceborough was a Saxon building mentioned in the Domesday Book 1086, this would have been built of wood with a thatched roof. The earliest part of the present church is the 13 century Spire below which is the site of Thomas de Wastneys grave, who died of the Black Death in 1350. He almost certainly fought at Crecy in 1346 & was at the siege of Calais. Thomas’s wife Joanna died in 1393. In her will she asked to be buried with Thomas at Braceborough. In 1662 a porch was added to the south door belived to be 14 century. Repairs & refurbishment were carried out in 1841, new bells hung in 1845 & 1896, the Victorians undertook major restoration in their usual robust way in 1859, a new organ was installed in 1876. In 2006 major re-pointing & masonry repairs were carried out on the spire. St Margaret’s is open most days of the week & services are held on the first Sunday of every Month at 09:00hrs.
The village of Wilsthorpe was also mentioned in the Great Domesday Book as Wivelestorp. The village has approximately 32 properties along the main village street. The church of St. Faiths Church is at the centre. The church is one of the smallest Anglican churches in the area. It was built in the 18th century, a fine example of early Georgian but in 1863 the building was altered by architect James Fowler & a mixture of Classical & Gothic resulted. Inside there is a stone figure of a 13th Century Knight bearing a shield with the arms. It is thought to be that of the Wake family but this has not been proved. Hereward the Wake was an Anglo-Saxon who led resistance to the Norman Conquest & became known as ‘Hereward the Outlaw’. He was born in or near Bourne which is approximately 4 miles from Wilsthorpe. Wilsthorpe was also known for providing Peterborough (14 miles away) with gallons of water each day after a 52ft deep well was drilled in the 19th Century.