East Ferry War Memorial

The War Memorial at East Ferry was first unveiled on 23rd August 1921, by the local clergy in the grounds of the Chapel in High Street, East Ferry.

The war memorial is constructed of granite, and is of a tall cross, set on a three stepped plinth, surrounded by a small flowered garden.

Inscripted on the steps are the words:-

LEST WE FORGET!

ERECTED IN PROUD AND GLORIOUS MEMORY OF

THE MEN OF EAST FERRY WHO FELL

IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918

MAY THEY REST IN PEACE.

When the Chapel was closed and later sold as a residential property, the War Memorial was moved and is now sited on the bank of the River Trent, on the South side of the village, opposite the junction of the East Ferry Road which runs to the forestry.

The war memorial site has a small flowered garden surrounding it, which is tended and maintained by Mrs Dee Nash, who generously does this voluntarily.

Each year, we commemorate our fallen heroes on Rememberance Sunday by the placing of a Wreath at the site.